Marian College TTC-Hairdressing

Further Education


Applying to University

How do I apply for university?  University entrance usually requires a VCE pass or its' equivalent, such as a high level TAFE qualification.  However, there are now more courses available by direct entry where an ATAR score, and perhaps a Year 12 pass, is not required.  You may also apply to university as a mature age student-you will usually need to be at least 20 years old, have been out of school for at least 12 months and/or be able to demonstrate, through completion of other courses or work experience and references, that you are capable of study at tertiary level.  Some courses will have additional requirements that you will need to check on each university's website and on the VTAC website.

When do I apply for university courses? The normal application process for university courses starts in about July each year for commencement in the following year.  Mostly this is done through VTAC but some courses can take direct applications.  VTAC Guides can be purchased at newsagents.

What is VTAC?  The Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) is the central office that administers the application and offer process for places in tertiary courses at university, TAFE and independent tertiary colleges in Victoria (and a few outside Victoria).  VTAC receives and forwards application information and supporting documentation to the course selection authorities at institutions.

Before you can apply, you need a VTAC ID (identification) and PIN (personal identification number).  To get your VTAC ID and PIN, you must register with VTAC.  To start your registration, select the 'Register' link below the login button. and individual university websites (see below).

Mid Year University Entry

The mid-year entry process starts around April/May for commencement in July.  For a list of institutions offering places in mid-year courses through VTAC, go to the VTAC website, the VTAC Guide or contact universities directly.  Other institutions may take direct applications.

Who can I get help from with applying?  A good starting point could be to contact your Careers Coordinator or MIPS Counsellor from secondary school.  They may be able to provide you with some advice on the 'phone or via email, and if they have time may make an appointment with you.  Otherwise call the institution you are wishing to apply to, and ask to make an appointment with a course selection officer.  If you completed Year 12, call VTAC if you have any problems with the online application.  For course advice call the Course Advisors at the institution you are interested in attending, preferably to make an appointment.  They will usually be happy to talk to you to ensure that you are doing the right course.

Part Time University  If you want to work part time while studying, you may want to consider "single subject" entry.  Some university degrees enable you to study 1 or 2 subjects rather than a full time load.  Normal pre-requisites and ATAR cut-off scores do not apply, and you pay per subject as you go.  Contact the universities directly - search for "single subject entry" on the web.

Having trouble getting into a course?  Try Open University (Call a Student Advisor on 1300 733 854) W:

Australian Catholic
Australian Catholic University
Deakin University
(Deakin College-Pathway
to Deakin University)
1800 693 888
5227 2613
Deakin University
Deakin College
Federation University1300 225
Federation University
La Trobe University1300 135
La Trobe University
Monash University1800 666
Monash University
RMIT University
Torrens University1300 575
Torrens University
University of Melbourne8344
University of Melbourne
Victoria University

Australian College of Applied Psychology1800 061
Australian College of Applied Psychology

Box Hill Institute1300 454
Box Hill Institute

Collarts1300 818
Deakin College9244
Deakin College
JMC Academy1300 410
JMC Academy
LCI Melbourne9676
LCI Melbourne
Macleay College1300 939
Macleay College
William Angliss Institute9606
William Angliss Institute

TAFES and Training Course Providers

What is TAFE? 

Tafe stands for Technical & Further Education.  TAFE is Australia's largest provider of vocational education and training.  More than 350,000 people are enrolled in TAFE in Victoria alone.

TAFE provides an accessible, affordable and flexible solution for all your training and further education needs and is a great option if you are:

  • A school leaver seeking to further your education and training
  • Seeking qualifications and skills you need to find your first job and build your career
  • Already working and want to upgrade or expand your knowledge and skills to further your career
  • Interested in working and earning while you're learning through an apprenticeship or traineeship
  • Looking for a pathway to university
  • An international student looking to improve your English skills

TAFE Courses Directory Website:

Deakin College (Pathway into
Deakin University)
Deakin College
Federation University TAFE (Ballarat)1800 333
Federation University

Kangan Institute13 82
Kangan Institute
Melbourne Polytechnic 9269
Melbourne Polytechnic
The Gordon Institute of TAFE (Geelong)1300 730
Gordon Institute
Victoria University Polytechnic1300 823
Victoria University Polytechnic
William Angliss Institute9606
William Angliss Institute
TAFE Course Directory

Registered Training Organisations (RTOs)

RTOs are registered by state and training authorities to deliver nationally recognised training.  This means that the RTOs qualifications are recognised by all RTOs in Australia.

Qualifications range from Certificate I through to IV, Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas.  All nationally recognised qualifications are designed to meet the needs of industry.

AGA301 Foleys Rd Deer Park
Ph: 1300 000 AGA (242)
AMESLevel 1 24 Devonshire Rd Sunshine
9311 2100
Shop 9-11 16 Victoria Square St Albans
Ph: 9367 5204

(02) 9259-5555
Angus Knight
Bacchus Marsh Community College
(The Laurels)
229 Main St Bacchus Marsh
Ph: 53 67 1061
The Laurels
commUnity+822 Ballarat Rd Sunshine
Suite 2-4 & 6-8 East Esplanade St Albans
Ph: 1800 266 675
Watergardens Town Centre 399 Melton Highway Taylors Lakes
Community Plus
Djerriwarrh Community
& Education Services
239 Station Rd Melton
8746 1000
266 Hampshire Rd Sunshine
Ph: 9009 7900
Djerriwarrh Community & education Services
Gowrie Victoria36 Newry St Carlton
Ph: 1300 446 9743
Gowrie Victoria
Integrity Business CollegeSuite 401B, Level 4,
198 Harbour Boulevard, Docklands
Ph: 1300 731 451
Integrity Business College
genU Training20 Hertford Rd Sunshine
Ph: 9311 0777
genU Training
Menzies Institute of Technology355 Spencer St West Melbourne
Ph: 1300 244 002
Menzies Institute of Technology
MultiSkills TrainingFactory 6, 43-47 Riverside Ave Werribee
Ph: 1800 754 557
MultiSkills Training
NECA Education & Careers1024 Lygon St Carlton
Ph: 9381 1922
NECA Education & Careers
VFA LearningLevel 6 131 Queen St Melbourne
Ph: 1300 304 329
VFA Learning
WCIG-Melton51 Bakery Square Melton
Ph: 9743-0189
WCIG-St Albans352A Main Rd West, St Albans
Ph: 9364-6199
WCIG-SunshineShop 2, 27-35 Clarke St Sunshine
Ph: 9311-9411

Gap Year Options

After finishing school, you might be ready to take a year off.  If you're not sure what you want to do career-wise, it can be a great time for figuring out what you enjoy, what you're good at and what jobs you might be best suited for.  You can travel, work in different industries, meet new people and discover more about yourself, your career goals and the world around you.

If a year off sounds like a good idea - consider the options below.

Volunteering in your community  Local councils can help you find a local volunteering opportunity that is close to where you live or that matches your skills and interests.  Visit the community volunteer pages of the Brimbank or Melton City Councils.

Volunteering Overseas

Lattitude Global Volunteering  International volunteering and gap year placements for 17-25 year olds in a wide range of countries around the world.

TESOL  Sign up for a TESOL course (Teaching English as a Second Language) and travel to non-English speaking countries such as Japan, China, Indonesia and widen your knowledge.

Student Exchange  Experience school or university in another country while living with a host family.  You can also sign up for an international internship in areas such as health and medicine, media and marketing, tourism and sports.

Defence Forces  Join ADF Gap Year Program and gain new skills to get ahead in life.

Summer Camp Counsellor   Summer camps in the US love Aussies working as camp counsellors.  You don't need any specific training, just a desire to work with young people in an outdoor activity-based environment and some leadership skills.

Working Holiday  Work and see the world at the same time!  Organisations can help you organise your visa, accommodation and employment before you leave.

STA travel specialises in student and youth travel